Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Kind of Malaysian Pancake: Apam Balik

Hehe … “apam balik” is one of my favourite local kuih.

Apam Balik Malaysian Pancake

I have been eating “apam balik” for as long as I could remember. I still remember long time ago, my mom used to buy it from the central market in Johor Bahru. It costed only RM0.80sen for each piece (whole thing) that can be cut up into 4 or 6 small pieces. My mom would normally request the pakcik to tambah kacang for an additional RM0.20sen. Back then, “apam balik” only came with grounded peanut and sugar fillings.

Apam Balik Malaysian Pancake

Today, the “apam balik” in Johor Bahru normally costs about RM1.50 - RM1.80 per piece.

In Kuching, the price is still cheap … only RM1.00 per piece. The one I have blogged about here costed me RM1.50. Why so expensive? Well, first of all, it comes with sweet corn fillings on top of the normal peanuts and sugar. Then, the dough itself is pandan flavoured. Hehe, actually it tasted kind of nice … so I don’t mind the slightly steeper price.

Apam Balik Malaysian Pancake

Nice isn’t it? If you were to eat it while it is still freshly made and a bit hot …. ooohhhh, heaven!!!

cheers
hanyi

ps. the above is a modern variety of the original “big” apam balik that is thick and soft in nature. it is also known as: mee jiang kueh, mang chang kuih, mang jiang kueh, jin loong bao, tai kau min, apam balik, apom balik, man jian kert, jian long bao, pancake, kap piang, etc.

ps. there is another newer “small” apam balik that has only been around a couple of years. this type is smaller and has very thin crispy skin. it costs about RM0.35 per piece.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

Technorati Blogs on : Recently Updated Blogs On Apam Balik or Authority Blogs On Apam Balik

No comments: